Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Matrix possibility

From my own personal experiences, it is very hard for me to say “do we or do we not live in the matrix?” I don’t really know, but I also agree with Nixon and the “possibility” of the matrix. From birth we know and have the belief that we are humans and this is the real world and all of our experiences are real, but there are moments sometimes when I stop and think, what really is real? Especially when movies like The Matrix come out and make us question our sense of reality even more. Like Nixon and the movie, it brings up the possibility that all of our beliefs are false because we don’t actually know something until we have experienced it, “If it is possible that a belief you have is false, then that belief is not one that you can say you really know” (29). Just because you think you know something does not make it true, even more when you have a slight doubt about it. There is a possibility that most of the things I personally believe in could in fact be false. Nixon gives the example of goblins being on the moon. Some might believe it, some might not, but we never actually know until we go up there and find out for ourselves. Because of that is why I refuse to ignore the possibility of us living in the matrix. Someone might tell me no you’re crazy, but we have never experienced anything outside of our own lives and perceptions of “reality”, so we don’t really know the chances of something else existing. In the movie, neo never knew he had been living in the matrix his whole life. Not until he was pulled out and experienced it for himself did he realize that a real world other than the one he already knew existed. So how do we know ourselves? I hate to think about it because there is a possibility for anything to happen or exist, especially if we have not seen or experienced it. “Things exist even when you’re not looking at them” (34). So with that said alone, it makes us wonder. Even with the world and life itself, we question God and the way the world came about. It’s a never-ending cycle of questions because none of us were there at the beginning of time, so we go on with what people tell us, but it does not mean it is true. Just now there are different religions, beliefs and some that don’t even believe in a god and so forth. So until there is some kind of evidence proving that the world and our reality is in fact real, I won’t discredit the possibility of it being figments of our imagination or the other way around. I don’t know anything in this world with certainty until I have seen it with my own eyes; therefore, do we live in the matrix? I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment