Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cyborgs

In my own definition, a cyborg is a person that is so closely attached to technology and its advantages that it becomes a way of life and almost impossible to break. A person that wakes up every day to check their missed calls on their cell phone and go to the computer to check their email before they’ve even had their breakfast. Life becomes a challenge when technology breaks down and they find themselves having to leave the comfort of their home to resolve an issue personally rather than taking care of it online. Being that we live in a period where almost everything has become integrated with technology, it’s hard to say that being a cyborg is uncommon. Technology has taken over every aspect of our lives and if you refuse to follow up with it you will be left in the dark.
I myself would say that I am a cyborg and fully support the idea that life is somewhat frustrating without the technological advances that we have today. It is a part of my life and has become essential to my everyday activities. If we really think about it the technology that we have today has not been around for a long time, but we have become so attached and so used it in a shorter amount of time. As far as I can remember, when my mother first put a computer in our house, I would not want to do anything else. There wasn’t a such thing as playing board games anymore, if I wanted to play a game, I’d do it online. Today the uses of a computer are so much more indispensable and so easy that you can even look for and find a job from your computer desk. From personal experience, traveling and looking for a job is extremely time consuming and tiring when having to walk from place to place just to fill out paper applications. For me it has made everything simpler from being able to apply online, to being able to access my email from my phone when I don’t have access to a computer. Something as simple as a cell phone has become a life organizer and a portal to connect to the whole world. Sometimes people go beyond the extreme and refuse to use or do anything that does not involve technology to their advantage, and to most of us it is inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment